Cleanse the house of hazardous household chemicals on the 1st of November by bringing a range of toxic pollutants commonly found in the kitchen, garage or laundry to a designated drop off point. On Saturday the 1st of November, the Adelaide Showgrounds will throw open the Stirling Angus Hall (off Rose Terrace) and allow anyone from across the state to safely dispose of their household hazardous waste.
This initiative is brought to you by a collaboration of the Unley Council and Mitcham Council in partnership with Zero Waste SA. Goes to show councils collaborating do great things for the broader community.
So what can you drop off?
- Acids and alkalis
- Brake fluids and coolants
- Cleaning products
- Gardening chemicals (including insecticides, rodenticides, herbicides)
- Liquid paint (up to 20 litres)
- Other household chemicals
- Photographic chemicals
- Pool chemicals
- Solvents (including paint thinners, turpentine)
- Varnishes and stains
- Ammunition or explosives (contact the Police)
- Asbestos and tyres (contact the EPA on 8204 2004)
- Fertiliser (use or donate to local community garden)
- Pharmaceuticals (return to local pharmacy)
- Household smoke detectors – these can be placed in the waste bin
- Gas bottles
- Fluorescent light globes
INSTRUCTIONS FOR DROP-OFF DAY
- Keep original labels on all containers or put labels on known chemicals
- Package all materials securely to avoid spills
- Place old containers in plastic bags or buckets to avoid leaks
- Place smaller containers in a box or larger container to help with unloading.
- Transport chemicals in your vehicle’s boot or trailer for easy and safe handling.
- For your safety please stay in the car and let staff unload waste.
- Please note that no containers or boxes will be returned as we do not empty them on-site
For further information please contact
City of Unley Phone: 8372 5111 www.unley.sa.gov.au
City of Mitcham Phone: 8372 8888 www.mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au